Thursday, January 23, 2014

TREES SHOULDN'T JUMP!



I began this blog, not only to educate friends and family about my condition, but to share my experiences with others who may be in the same situation; to give them the comfort of knowing that they are not alone.  I have been too shy to share it with the world and have not actually published it.  However, I think it is time.  The blogs that I have read on the VEDA website seem so professional that I am intimidated fearing that mine will seem extremely amateurish in comparison, but I'm about to take the plunge.  For those reading it for the first time, while I encourage you to respond with your experiences and advice, I hope that you will read from the beginning and not respond until you've caught up with me on this adventure of discovery.  I am learning as I go.  

A word of advice when learning of someone's VD (That's Vestibular Disorder…not the other one.  My cousin with MS came up with that little joke and we can't help giggling about it.), please don't say "Oh, yes, I get those little dizzy spells all the time if I stand up too quickly."  What you are doing is trivializing the problem; not empathizing.  Consider what it is like to have those "little dizzy spells" all day, every day, with every little movement you make.

I had been without my left hearing aid for over a month.  It was sent out to be refurbished and got lost.  Turns out it wasn't lost at all, but, because it was purchased in a former surname, the records carried that surname and it ended up on a shelf at my audiologist's office unclaimed.

Because the vestibular system is aided by the ears and I temporarily had only the use of one, I had become increasingly wobbly.  The oscillopsia (everything moves with my every movement) became worse and, on my fitness walk, glancing up at a tree along the path and back down again the tree seemed to jump.  Sidewalks wave up and down in front of me.  My world is a bizarro world!

If you have VD (tee-hee) and haven't gone through Vestibular Therapy, I encourage you to do so and to practice your exercises often.  It is vital, though exhausting and often nauseating.

I sometimes feel that, if I don't push through and do certain things for myself rather than asking for help, I am surrendering to this "thing."  For that reason, I had not considered requesting a handicap placard or plate for my car.  I still drive but only during daylight hours and only in familiar areas.  I have almost been run over a couple times in parking lots recently because I can't move out of the way fast enough.
(Come on!  Move it, Granny!)  I finally "gave in" and ordered a placard to limit that risk.



No comments: